Sunday, June 27, 2010

You are "You-nique"

It's book review time here at Beyond Laundry and let me tell you, I just finished reading an absolute GEM of a book by Max Lucado entitled, You Can Be Everything God Wants You To Be.  It's a little gift book but it definitely lives up to the "good things come in small packages" standard.

As all Lucado books, this dives straight into the center of the heart to discuss the unique calling God has on each of our lives.  Lucado says, "God gave you a zone in which you were made to dwell.  He tailored the curves of your life to fit an empty space in His jigsaw puzzle. A sweet spot, if you will.  And life makes sweet sense when you find your spot...DaVinci painted one Mona Lisa. Beethoven composed one Fifth Symphony.  And God made one version of you! He custom designed you for a one of a kind assignment. You cannot be anything you want to be.  But you can be EVERTHING God wants you to be (emphasis mine)." 

In 1999 I took my first position as a High School Social Studies teacher in a little rural school up in Mississippi - Sturgis School.  I was the only Social Studies teacher for the 9-12th grade so it was a pretty intense year.  Not only that but the school was primarily low income, farming children who had really no interest in school but knew they had to be there because the state required it.  Fast forward to 2001 with my first year at a school here in Florida.  I had a class of 8th graders made up of some military brats, basic jr. high school kids and then the icing on the cake in a group of 34 kids - 16 convicted felons!!!  It was during that time that I met some of the most precious people I will have ever known.  It was during that time that I realized how important it is for us to understand how each one of God's children has so much potential regardless of their circumstances.  I loved and lost during that time  as students I had taught never quite made it to their potential because rough home lives and bad choices squelched their lives early.  My life goal during those years was to make sure I let each one of those "diamonds in the rough" know just how special they were.

So I encourage you to get this book if you are doubting the call God has on your life. Or possibly you are not certain what your call is - WOW, this book will change your perspective quick! 

No comments:

Post a Comment