Saturday, June 5, 2010

Designed in His Image, not Hers!

Hebrews 12:2  "...looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith..."

Recently my Pastor preached the best Mother's Day sermon I have ever heard in my life.  The message of his sermon probably had a stronger effect on me this year because I have been so immersed in the life of motherhood and wifedom that I needed to hear what was said!   Something that resonated in my spirit was this idea that women are held back from fulfilling their purpose in life because they are so busy comparing themselves to one another...or as Pastor Dan said,  "you ere when you dare to compare."  He spoke of women who feel inadequate because they have this notion that they have to be just like all the "other" women they know.  If they can't keep house perfectly they feel like a failure; if they are too concerned about housekeeping they feel like control freaks.  No matter which way the cookie crumbles (somebody better clean that up - I'm the control freak housekeeper) someone will always be able to do something better than you and me.

So, what got me thinking about that sermon again today?  Well, I spent some time surfing the web while Abigail took a nap and the boys played with Daddy.  I visited some sites that I've heard other women talk about and although they were greatly put together sites (almost too put together considering they are supposedly sites of stay-at-home moms) I started to think, "this is exactly why women are never satisfied with the calling that is on their lives...they spend too much time looking at all of these other women that they don't take the time to be who they are called to be, not to mention, not even liking themselves because they think they have to be what these women claim they are!"  (whewww, that was a long thought but work with me :)  We can be anything we want to be in a blog or on facebook.  We can post all of the prettiest pictures we have of ourselves; we can talk about all of the encouraging things that run through our heads (c'mon, I don't get on here and write when I'm frustrated with my husband or kids!) .  But when it comes right down to it, we're all human, we all have those things that are unlovely about us.  We all put our pants on one leg at a time (unless we try to actually jump from high heights into those jeans that are too tight - but we all do that the same way too) and none of us smells like roses all of the time! 

I guess the point is, God did not design us to look around at everyone else and determine who we want to be like.  He designed us to be like Him...I recall Genesis clearly stating we are designed in HIS image.  Although we are women it never says that we are supposed to look like Eve (I imagine that she was pretty hot considering she lived before the fall) or cook like Martha (and I don't mean Martha Stewart, but her too) or sell boutique style clothing like Lydia.  Just as He designed all of us with different personalities and different strengths, He designed each one of the amazing examples we find in His Word.  He desires for us to look to Him as our example -looking to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith - not all the women around us.  Even the good examples should only be there as those of encouragement - just like that awesome bible figure, mentor or girlfriend, we are saved and made beautiful by the same Creator.

I would encourage you once again to embrace your calling not your best friend's, your sister's or your mother's calling, but the very calling God put on your life.  Go get it girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment