Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lasting Impressions

Okay, so I haven't written for a few days.  I've been dreadfully uninspired!  Life has been pretty normal, cooking, cleaning, cooking again, cleaning again, yeah, cooking again and cleaning again....you get the picture right!?!  The boys are going to Vacation Bible School this week and so far they have really enjoyed themselves - considering Gramma is one of their teachers really helps (and the fact that she has told them she has a surprise for them if they finish the week out with her)!  The past two mornings have been so quiet, almost too quiet.  I am on a warpath to do all of the things I don't have a chance to do when I'm surrounded by my clan.  And wouldn't you know it, cleaning is at the top of the list.  My house always looks tidy but it is hardly the kind of clean that I expect it to be. 

Just as I got ready to start getting down to the nitty-gritty God stopped me in my tracks and said, "Hey Martha...I mean Angela...sit down and get into the Word for a bit."  The Lord gently reminded me that I needed to rest at His feet for a little while and let Him minister to me.  So many times I'm so busy ministering to all of those around me that I do not stop to get filled up.  He desires to use me but I will never be as effective in my "works" if it is not done in love and full of His Spirit.  The Bible says that our plans are many but the Lord directs our path.  We might plan to do great things but if we are not allowing Him to lay the path ahead of us our busy moments will quickly fade.  And although we "get the job done" and leave a lasting impression, the impression is usually one of negativity and frustration.  I think about getting groceries...I spend hours clipping coupons, finding deals, then a good two or more hours around town at Wal-Mart, Target and Publix.  I finally get everything home, put away all nice and neat and then everyone wants to EAT!!!!  Now, it is easy to get irritated and spout out about how I just got home and half of the food I just bought is already gone.  I can yell and tell them they can eat later, but what will make a positive impression on my sweet family is to start pulling out those tasty treats and start serving.  I can promise you this, if you do not continuously fill yourself with God's Word you will not react in that fashion.  The yelling and frustration will come much easier and the only impression you will leave is one of hurt and irritation.

I encourage you today, no matter how many tasks at hand or appointments you might have, get in the Word and let God fill you up so that you can be an inspiration to the people around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment